Born 1953. Studied at Middlesex Polytechnic; DipHCM 1974 and DipPM 1975.
Director of Music and staff worker at St Helen's Bishopsgate, followed by training for the Anglican ministry at Oak Hill Theological College in North London; BA 1986.
Ordained 1986, serving as curate at Holy Trinity Church Norwich before working in a Canadian parish from 1989-93. Since 1993 he has been Rector of St Andrew's Bebington, on the Wirral in Cheshire.
He has been singing, writing song lyrics and composing hymn and song music, much of it recorded and published, for many years. He has made five albums including the recent CD 'Song in the Desert', produced in Canada.
His music has also appeared in 'Worship Songs Ancient and Modern' (1992) and in collections from Jubilate Hymns of which he is Chairman. Six of his tunes were composed for texts by Christopher Idle.
He is a worship leader at the annual Word Alive/Spring Harvest weeks, and travels though Europe speaking at outreach events and on music. He initiated Liverpool's first 'Prom Praise' at the Philharmonic Hall in June 2000.
He is married to Rachel, and their three children are all musical. As a former rugby player he is a keen supporter of the Welsh team
Lyrics by Steve James
- A shroud of darkness (Christmas Alleluias)
- A word is spoken by the One
- All my ways, all our hearts
- Behold, I am the first and the last
- Christ your glory fills the heavens
- Come see a vision for all humankind
- For over the nations our Jesus shall reign
- Glory... to you!
- Have you not known there's an everlasting God
- I cry to the Lord who answers me
- Oh, what a wonder you are
- So soon, days turn to dusk
- Through you, through you, you make all things new
- We will run and not be weary
- When I turn my eyes to see
- Who is the Lord? Who is the King?
- Why are the nations conspiring to turn from your name?
- You are the sun of righteousness
Music by Steve James
- A shroud of darkness (CHRISTMAS ALLELUIAS)
- A word is spoken (Say the Word)
- ALL MY WAYS
- BABY JESUS
- BECAUSE OF THE LORD'S GREAT LOVE
- BEHOLD, I AM THE FIRST AND THE LAST
- BOW COMMON LANE
- CHRIST YOUR GLORY
- EAGLE'S WINGS
- GLORY (James)
- I CRY TO THE LORD
- LIFT MY EYES
- SO SOON, DAYS TURN TO DUSK
- WHY ARE THE NATIONS CONSPIRING?