Born at Borehamwood, Hertfordshire
Educated at Bromley County Grammar School, Kent; University of London; and Oak Hill Theological College.
Married Myrtle Baughen
Anglican priest serving at Hyson Green, Nottingham; Reigate, Surrey; as candidates secretary for Church Pastoral Aid Society; at Rusholme, Manchester; at All Souls', Langham Place, London; and as Bishop of Chester. On retirement, he and his wife returned to London where he remains active as an Assistant Bishop.
Member of the General Synod for seven years.
He has also served as a Member of the House of Lords, as Chairman of the Central Readers' Council, as Chairman of the Committee for State aid for Churches in Use, and Chairman of the Evangelical Anglican Leaders' Conference.
Causes dear to his heart are Christian congregational worship, evangelism and growth of Christians in spiritual maturity and trained service.
His interests include railways, photography, travel and love of mountains,
Editor of and writer and composer for 'Youth Praise', Book 1, 1964, and Book 2, 1969, and 'Psalm Praise', 1973, consultant editor and contributor to 'Hymns for Today's Church', 1982 and Editorial Chairman of 'Sing Glory', 2000.
Other publications include 'Moses and the Venture of Faith', 1978, 'Your Marriage' (with Myrtle Baughen), 1994, and 'The Prayer Principle', reissued 1996.
Lyrics by Michael Baughen
- All scriptures are given by the breath of God
- As the deer longs for water
- As you cleanse me for today
- Because he died and is risen
- Before you start the day
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all within me
- Blessed is the man, the man who does not walk
- Bring forth the fruit of the Spirit in your life
- Broad is the way that leads man to
- Come, rejoice before your maker
- God, creation comes from you
- He is Lord! He is Lord!
- I can do all things
- I thank you Lord with all my heart, I worship
- I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned
- I'll live for Christ who gave himself on the tree
- If any man will follow, if any man will follow
- Jesus Christ is my Lord and king
- Looking unto Jesus
- May God be gracious to us that your way
- New! every morning it's new
- Sing to God new songs of worship
- Surely God loves upright men
- Thank you for every new good morning
- The fields are white unto harvest time
- The Lord is my light and salvation in life
- There is full salvation through that precious name
- There is no-one in the world like Jesus
- There's no greater name than Jesus
- We worship God in harmony
- Why do the heathen conspire?
Music by Michael Baughen
- ALL SCRIPTURES ARE GIVEN
- BIGGIN HILL
- BLESS THE LORD O MY SOUL (Baughen)
- BLESSED IS THE MAN (Baughen)
- CHRIST TRIUMPHANT
- CHRIST TRIUMPHANT (arr Mayor)
- CROSS OF SHAME
- CROSS OF SHAME (Lord of the cross)
- DAVOS (I lift my eyes to the quiet hills)
- GLORIOUS COMING
- GO FORTH
- GO FORTH (arr)
- HIGHEST HEAVEN
- HIGHEST HEAVEN (arr)
- HOLY CHILD (arr) (Iliff)
- HOLY CHILD (arr) (Mayor)
- HOLY CHILD (arr) (Tredinnick)
- LORD OF THE YEARS
- LORD OF THE YEARS (arr) (Norton)
- LORD OF THE YEARS (descant)
- LORD OF THE YEARS (Glory to God, the Source)
- LORD OF THE YEARS (Lord, for the years)
- MAJESTAS (Name of all majesty) with descant
- NEW MILLENNIUM
- NO GREATER NAME